- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- One 3 ½-pound brisket, first-cut or flat-half, trimmed of all excess fat
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce, such as sriracha
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons Chinese mustard or Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Turn on grill to medium low heat.
- To make the rub, in a small bowl combine the sugar, granulated onion, salt, pepper, Chinese five-spice powder, and cayenne pepper. Rub it all over the brisket and set it aside as you prepare the sauce.
- In a medium bowl whisk together 3 tablespoons of water, the tomato paste, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, chili-garlic sauce, garlic, ginger, mustard, and sesame oil.
- Place on grill and let go and get Happy for 6 to 8 hours. Checking every 45 minutes. Spray with beer to keep moist.